

I've been finding all sorts of things while packing...
Maira Kalman came to our local independent bookstore around 1991 (?) on a book tour for Max In Love. She read, signed books, and even made individual drawings on large pieces of sketch paper for anyone who came up for a signing. When it was my turn she opened my book, looked up and asked me what my name was. I said, "Janis, like in Joplin" which I often say because people usually end up misspelling it "Janice" if I don't. After I spoke, Maira got this thoughtful, faraway look in her eyes and said that she was at Janis Joplin's
last concert before Janis died. I could tell it was a happy
memory for her, but also very sad one too.
.....
Maira Kalman, you're my girl. Forever.
Maira Kalman came to our local independent bookstore around 1991 (?) on a book tour for Max In Love. She read, signed books, and even made individual drawings on large pieces of sketch paper for anyone who came up for a signing. When it was my turn she opened my book, looked up and asked me what my name was. I said, "Janis, like in Joplin" which I often say because people usually end up misspelling it "Janice" if I don't. After I spoke, Maira got this thoughtful, faraway look in her eyes and said that she was at Janis Joplin's
last concert before Janis died. I could tell it was a happy
memory for her, but also very sad one too.
.....
Maira Kalman, you're my girl. Forever.

12 comments:
Oh, I love this! How awesome that she would take the time to do this for her readers!
This is awesome. (I know MODsquad used that word, but it really is.)
Yes, awesome indeed ;^)
Ciao Janis!
This is why we need to move homes... for precisely these wonderful rediscoveries... wonderful Janis...!
Sx
Aw- That's a nice story...I could picture her faraway look...
I just lost my comment ... what did I write? Something like: I don't actually know Maira Kalman, but I spent hours and hours listening to Janis Joplin when commuting to work and - because I also sometimes catch myself having written "janice", I know I won't from now on! Hope you find more treasures while packing!
Lovely post! I am always inspired by her art work!
I checked her website, love her illustrations! Makes it even better that she is a great person in real life too!
I like Maira's work, thank you for showing us!
And Janis we're a great woman, like the other one;) Happy week!
I love her work too! You are so lucky to have met her.
i like this memory, a beautiful one, so is her work!
thanks janis for sharing this with us!
Post a Comment