11.20.2012
H o m e
Okay, so now I'll tell you why the long blog absence last summer. We finally found a house *hooray and whew* and moved in just down the hill from where we were renting. You might know how difficult moving can be, STRESSFUL, but I'm here to say we made it in one piece and are grateful to be home.
So now it's time for setting up and settling in and I've been thinking about how a single house takes on a different personality as the occupants change. The previous owners were India-philes who had been collaborating on a cookbook with their guru. The guru would come over from India and stay here occasionally while translating and refining recipes. When we first walked in the house we were greeted with a light scent of turmeric and incense and noticed the decor of beautiful Indian textiles and artifacts. Very exotic and romantic... Now that the house is ours, it's a different story. One might call it sorta flea market or urban farmhouse, and the is scent a mixture of coffee and pasta sauce (garlic and tomatoes!) Maybe not so exotic, but still romantic in our own way :^)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





17 comments:
Congratulations on your new home! It looks warm and inviting and as one who has moved three times in eight years (all with house sales/purchases), I know that's no small feat in a few months. Wishing you many happy times in your new place, Janis.
bravo and well done! and actually, just down the hill....that does sound fairly painless on the great house-moving scale.
love your big big basket and those stools. looks like you got to keep part of the old view. it looks so light!
happy coffee-and-pasta-ing! looking forward to seeing what other kind of making comes out of the new home.
bacie!
Jan - thank you for the good wishes!
MP - Thank you and baci-baci back! You know the background, you've heard my tales, so I'm extra happy to finally tell you we did it. And yes, definitely art next. XX
Your new home is BEAUTIFUL! I love all those creamy colors. Congratulations.
congratulations on you new home and happy setting in :)
your living rooms looks wonderfully light and it looks as you have a lot of green to look out on.
Hooray!
and... sweet home.
Congrats Janis! x
Congratulations, Janis! It looks beautiful, and quite similar to your previous home, if memory serves me right. By the way, just doing the final harvest of indigo from the seedlings you gave me. Haven't done anything with my dry leaves yet, but thinking of composting them over the winter, so if you want to combine your dry leaves with mine, we can try dyeing with the composted results in the spring.
Thank you to everyone above and below my last comment. Much appreciated! xo...
Dustin - Thank you... The house has similarities, but much more "us" and solid than the last. Come for tea soon and take a look :^)
And YES, Great idea to combine our indigo and have a dye day next spring! XX
this is the news I was hoping for, Janis! I love how you have the sofa facing the view out there - I imagine it must be beautiful, and the house must love its new occupants and their rituals. welcome home!
hapy thanksgiving Janis
for you and yours, in your new home whish I am sure is sweet and peaceful.
Hope to see you soon...one day
Love
Emma from SF
where the heart is, pet, where the heart is.
happy new dwellinging, you. that light...
Dear Janis, what a wonderful reason for a blog break / your new home is so lovely, full of light and inviting nooks. Welcome home!!!
congratulations ... it looks like a sunny and peaceful place !
I too find the scent of coffee, garlic, and tomatoes romantic. Enjoy your new space. It looks cozy and seems to take in some beautiful light.
What a wonderful light! I missed you! Hello gorgeous cat:-)
oh Janis... i just want to come over now and hang around in your new home drinking cups of tea and hearing stories!
Instead here I am in the southern hemisphere pretending to pop a champagne cork and toast you and Daniel and wish you every happiness in your wonderful new home.
Great story about the cookbook... but you will have many stories too and they will be wonderful I know!
S xo
ps at last... where have I been... not in the blogo-sphere!
Post a Comment