5.27.2012

Happy 75th


Even as a native to the bay area, I still get excited crossing or seeing the bridge in the distance. It's a symbol of energy to me, much like the city itself. Energy, hope, possibility ... I'm feeling the love.

Happy 75th anniversary Golden Gate Bridge!

...............

Paper Artist Anandamayi Arnold has created historic dresses for the GGB celebration using crepe paper. See an interview of Anandamayi in her studio and dresses here.

Musician Courtney Lain of Lady Sea and the Golden Ocean Orchestra has composed music for the GGB celebration. See her hip accordion and orchestra here.

17 comments:

anna maria said...

You were at Greens Restaurant, right? Yum. Always loved that place and its view.
Happy Birthday GGB!

Janis said...

Anna Maria - Thank you! ...and you're right about Greens. The view is heavenly from there isn't it?

Bichos da Matos said...

Amazing bridge, one day I will cross it!
xoxo:)

Janis said...

Catarina - you will cross it and come visit me one day :^)

nadine paduart said...

i've just watched that interesting video. and happy b-day GGB. she impressed me, alot of years ago, when i stood looking at her.
n♥

Unknown said...

In my grandmother village there is a place where people meet and there hung an old photo of the bridge. In the 50th people of the village went sheep keeping to that area...I always have in mind that old photo in black and whites...

Lollipop said...

I always liked the GGB, brother of lisbon's one...
take care
xxx

Francesca said...

What an interesting interview, fascinating! Thanks for the link!

Janis said...

Wolff - you've been here!

Ibb - thanks for the story. I like imagining the old faded photo hanging in an old village far away. Someone's souvenir from long ago...

Lenor - Yes! Catarina told me about the look-a-like bridge in Lisbon...fascinating!

Francesca - So glad you saw the video. I'd love to volunteer with her one day. She's so imaginative and original.

alessandra said...

I was on that bridge 8 years ago and guess what? I couldn't cross it! after a few steps I started to panic and asked my husband to go back: I have vertigo. I agree with you about the feelings that bridge inspire, I felt the same when I was there (plus the wobbling knees!)

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I share your love for our beautiful bridge, and this fine city. I didn't know about this work at Fort Point. Thank you so much for sharing it here. I will most likely visit this week.

Janis said...

Alessandra - I have driven over the bridge a gazillion times though I've never walked it. The barrier between you and the ocean doesn't seem like much. It's not for me either. I understand what you're saying completely!

Denise - I am so glad you followed the link because I think the exhibit will be worth seeing. Can't wait to see those dresses!

Anonymous said...

just saw the video ... very interesting. Thanks :)

isa said...

the crepe paper dresses are amazing ... thanks for the link !

Ritva said...

me too, loved those paper dresses! it must be fun to make them. i once made plastic dresses for a play...
thanks for the link, it made me smile.

it´s a huge bridge!happy birthday!

Emma said...

same feeling but/and I am not a native...
love Janis
Emma from SF

;) said...

I can understand you're exited.