I've always thought that things out of their original context lose their meaning - the only way to see them is through memories. Still, your collection seems to be calling me to travel; Calling me to fly with the wind :)
Finn started a very interesting discussion. On one hand I find I'm with her, on the other I think I'm a collector and a re-user, at least at heart, and often like to create new meanings. Those dry weeds and hydrangea petals look delicate and artistic in your photos. I joined the flickr group.
I guess the way I look at it as an artist is that a humble collection of finds, perhaps a single item that is treasured and visited over and over and worked with for drawing inspiration and such is an important thing. When it ends up in decorator shops or bargain shops like dried starfish have for the past 2 decades then it is indeed tragic.
Likewise stones that have been crated across oceans to get thrown into "garden makeovers". When I noticed this happening it made me feel that stones have a life force and should no be taken from their habitat on this scale.
And yet ... i have one small rock - from a beach frequented by 4 generations of my family - and picked up 40 years ago and painted with a series of dots (somewhat indigenous in flavour by accident - I was 11 and had no sense of such art then!) This rock I kept by my side for years without any real consciousness. Its was a trinket that I packed and took each time I moved.
One day, 20 odd years after I painted it, I had a sudden moment of cognition that this rock was still with me, totem like, of no value in the financial sense, but carrying some deeply essential story for me. it spoke of a place close to my heart, ancestors who'd been in this place, my own stories of connection to this place. I felt the strangest comfort that something so without recognisable value (I always lost any jewellery I seemed to own and like by contrast!) had never left me, or gotten lost along the way!
With intimacy and a certain quality of attention things are not commodities... they are totems that represent deeper things in the scheme of things ...they prompt contemplation which increases respect and regard for all things.
Your blog always offers this quality of seeing I find Janis! There's none of that aquisitiveness we are so conditioned to respond to objects with. You invite us to quietly behold some little piece of wonder from a too frantic world.
We slow down! We drink it in. We are refreshed. I'm thankful! S x
love the photos and find the discussion interesting. visited a few hours ago, and have been thinking about the collecting and keeping of things outside of their "real" context all morning.
i am a collector of stones and shells, and pretty much any other awesome things i see in nature. i don't know why, but it brings me joy to bring it home and look at it, touch it, remember where it came from and to just wonder about those incredible shapes and purposes.
i also love to use nature's objects in other things, like mobiles and images. i don't think i will stop collecting, but i think these thoughts have made me rethink why, what, and for what.
this discussion can be stretched out to so many other things, like fresh flowers we cut and bring indoor in vases, only to die. or the photograph, the painting or drawing where we try and capture beauty or emotion. already gone.
or maybe i'm just confused abd thinking too much this morning ;)
I appreciate and treasure each and every one of your comments and points of view. I was so excited and wanted to respond individually, and then became overwhelmed. So many thoughts I'd like to express... Though I will say I am very touched by your personal stories and how this post inspired a discussion (such a surprise). It's also nice to learn more about you and to discover that my fellow bloggers are such mindful, thoughtful women (not a surprise :) A big thank you Finn, Francesca, Sophie, and Trinsch ... xoxo, j.
beautiful collections- love to have the first one!
to return them to the ocean, what a comprehensive thought... i think it´s also a question of priority. sometimes we need to collect, but to be very attentive how appropriate we are.
14 comments:
I've always thought that things out of their original context lose their meaning - the only way to see them is through memories.
Still, your collection seems to be calling me to travel; Calling me to fly with the wind :)
I know what you mean Finn, I have some seashells I collected and want to return them back to the ocean.
I am curious where the wind is pulling you...
Finn started a very interesting discussion. On one hand I find I'm with her, on the other I think I'm a collector and a re-user, at least at heart, and often like to create new meanings. Those dry weeds and hydrangea petals look delicate and artistic in your photos. I joined the flickr group.
Love these sea forms in particular Janis!
I guess the way I look at it as an artist is that a humble collection of finds, perhaps a single item that is treasured and visited over and over and worked with for drawing inspiration and such is an important thing. When it ends up in decorator shops or bargain shops like dried starfish have for the past 2 decades then it is indeed tragic.
Likewise stones that have been crated across oceans to get thrown into "garden makeovers". When I noticed this happening it made me feel that stones have a life force and should no be taken from their habitat on this scale.
And yet ... i have one small rock - from a beach frequented by 4 generations of my family - and picked up 40 years ago and painted with a series of dots (somewhat indigenous in flavour by accident - I was 11 and had no sense of such art then!) This rock I kept by my side for years without any real consciousness. Its was a trinket that I packed and took each time I moved.
One day, 20 odd years after I painted it, I had a sudden moment of cognition that this rock was still with me, totem like, of no value in the financial sense, but carrying some deeply essential story for me. it spoke of a place close to my heart, ancestors who'd been in this place, my own stories of connection to this place. I felt the strangest comfort that something so without recognisable value (I always lost any jewellery I seemed to own and like by contrast!) had never left me, or gotten lost along the way!
With intimacy and a certain quality of attention things are not commodities... they are totems that represent deeper things in the scheme of things ...they prompt contemplation which increases respect and regard for all things.
Your blog always offers this quality of seeing I find Janis! There's none of that aquisitiveness we are so conditioned to respond to objects with. You invite us to quietly behold some little piece of wonder from a too frantic world.
We slow down!
We drink it in.
We are refreshed.
I'm thankful!
S x
ps i also understand Finn's thinking to!
love the photos and find the discussion interesting. visited a few hours ago, and have been thinking about the collecting and keeping of things outside of their "real" context all morning.
i am a collector of stones and shells, and pretty much any other awesome things i see in nature. i don't know why, but it brings me joy to bring it home and look at it, touch it, remember where it came from and to just wonder about those incredible shapes and purposes.
i also love to use nature's objects in other things, like mobiles and images. i don't think i will stop collecting, but i think these thoughts have made me rethink why, what, and for what.
this discussion can be stretched out to so many other things, like fresh flowers we cut and bring indoor in vases, only to die. or the photograph, the painting or drawing where we try and capture beauty or emotion. already gone.
or maybe i'm just confused abd thinking too much this morning ;)
lovely post, janis!
I appreciate and treasure each and every one of your comments and points of view. I was so excited and wanted to respond individually, and then became overwhelmed. So many thoughts I'd like to express... Though I will say I am very touched by your personal stories and how this post inspired a discussion (such a surprise). It's also nice to learn more about you and to discover that my fellow bloggers are such mindful, thoughtful women (not a surprise :) A big thank you Finn, Francesca, Sophie, and Trinsch ... xoxo, j.
Love these two images! Beautiful shots! Perfect background.
Happy New Week!
two beautiful collections.
the way that each collection has faded in its own special way is wonderfully captured.
beautiful collections- love to have the first one!
to return them to the ocean, what a comprehensive thought...
i think it´s also a question of priority.
sometimes we need to collect, but to be very attentive how appropriate we are.
wonderful photos and collection
Such delicate beauty!
these images are lovely. i don´t collect things for the simple fact that i don´t have much space... pretty boring... happy tuesday!
I love photos that remind me of Japanese paintings. Love these.
thanks for coming around my blog and comment. I'm catching up on all the blogreading and I'm happy to see these lovely pics of yours.
Post a Comment